Monday, March 02, 2009

LinkedIn - good that went better and could go through the roof

I have to admit that I'm a LinkedIn junkie. I use it throughout the day, reading about what people are doing, thinking and most important of all, who they connect to. Whenever I meet a person or hear about someone I check them out on LinkedIn. If needed I ask someone in my network that knows this person to put in a word or two for me before I make contact.

The latest tool I started to use was the TripIt application that lets me see who is close in a city I'm visiting and announcing to my network where I'm heading in the future to simplify contact.

Here's my humble suggestions for improvements to the great LinkedIn team:
  • My greatest pain right now is how to keep my CV updated in the corporate repository and the various sites on the web.
  • Why don't LinkedIn offer a closed private space for employees to store their profiles? 
    • One could select which data would be private and which would be available through the public LinkedIn profile.
    • Searches returns hits in the public LinkedIn network plus internal resources
    • Staffing Managers and recruiters could search on Linked public + private and find resources inside and outside of the company. To connect with people outside the company they just have to contact the person knowing the searched for person
    • Integration with corporate HR and recuitment systems would have to be done through a Web services API or similar.
  • Thus I only have to maintain my CV at one place, what a world that would be.
  • Based on a subscription fee LinkedIn would get more revenue and users.
  • For companies this would lower their system costs (close down one system), utilize already existing networks of their employees, simplify access to brain power and use true cloud services.

No comments: